A Review of Amber Exile by Ursula Wong

This book is a political thriller, seventh in the Amber War series. I haven't read the others, and that was no problem. It works perfectly well as a standalone. 

Amber Exile is about a Russian president who has made it her life goal to restore the glory (and the historical borders) of the Russian Empire . . . a journalist wrestling with complex ethical questions caused by war . . . an elderly refugee from World War II who just wants to make things right before she dies . . . and the widow of an oligarch who will stop at nothing to restore the glory of her own wealth.

I loved this book. It has all the stomach-churning, page-turning thrill of a Tom Clancy or a John Grisham. The characters feel real, the stakes are high and the politics are somehow simultaneously devilishly clever and ruthlessly simple.

I couldn't find anything to complain about, except for the teasing references to other plots not mentioned here. I guess I'll just have to read the rest of the series.

(I was given a copy of this book in exchange for a fair review.)